I started working on a new miniature of the glass city from Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz. The building are being built out of laser cut white acrylic.
My nice neat stacks of parts got tumbled together in my car. Let's see if I can sort them all out.
|The initial fiberglass work for the mouth.|
|Apoxy Sculpted teeth and lips. The teeth had to be both strong, realistic, and safe to touch.|
|Here's the primed fiberglass and the initially built cabinet.|
|And here's the fiber optics as I started installing them. It was extremely tedious to thread all of these through.|
I recently changed jobs and had a baby, so I've been rather busy lately. I haven't posted a lot of what I've been working on lately, so I'm planning on fixing that with this series of posts. One of my last projects at the Aquarium was to do a whole bunch of exhibit murals. I never did post the finished products.
This one ended up turning out a lot better than I was hoping. It's kind of hard to see some of the detail in the photo of the illustrations. The octopus was from another mural that ended up needing to be changed. I was really disappointed to not be able to use him, so I was really happy when I could re-incorporate him into this piece. The seahorses and piranhas were done in watercolor. Unfortunately the piranhas ended up not being a good color, so I had to significantly modify them digitally. Oh well, at least I made it work for the finished product.
I had a little bit of a scare during the install. For some reason the vinyl print outs were sized too large. I'm not sure if it was my fault on the measurements and layout, or if the printer enlarged the print as they sometimes do to make sure a vinyl will fit into the space. Luckily since this mural was made up of a bunch of different free form pieces, we were able to fit it all on there well. I actually ended up liking it more than my original layout. I think it works better. It was nice to be able to arrange everything while actually in the space. Sometimes it's hard to visualize how something is actually going to work in a space.
The little arm on the octopus was rather funny to position. It wouldn't really fit in the space. We cut it off, and then rearranged it. At one point one of the installers had a torch on it, heating it up, as we warped the vinyl to fit into the space. It's a really forgiving medium.
Here's another little drawing of some Wizard of Oz characters. This time it's Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman. They were my favorite Oz characters when I was a kid. The coloring was done with watercolors, and the linework is all ink. Kudos to my wife for coming up with the caption.
I spent the morning at Fab Lab working on some signs for the wine making crew. It was a good way to learn how to use the shopbot. Now I just need to spend some time finishing them and maybe chamfer the edge if the MDF will take it. I can't wait to use it for more complicated projects. This was a good one to figure out the process and make it less scary.
Here is my entry for the Art Directors Club of Tulsa's annual Block Party. The concept for the event is that artists around town pick up the same wood blocks, and then have to transform them into art objects. I decided this year to "melt" mine. No eating please!